What does it really take to get that flat tummy? A reasonably attractive flat tummy is about 15% for men and 20% body fat for women.
Do you have to starve yourself or do you need incredible willpower? If your goal is a reasonable flat tummy I would say absolutely not! But.. you do have to put up with some psychological stress.
Here’s a list of common stressors:
- Extra effort and time spent in planning nutrition and training. Less energy and time for hobbies and relationships
- Saying no to get-togethers that involve food and drink; or participating at these events and saying no to food and drink that other people offer you.
- Losing your drinking kaki’s (friends) and fast food friends 😛
- Super charged energy levels
- Exercise and sport is much more enjoyable, because you can move quickly with less weight on the joints
- Better overall health – less fat correlates with better blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Less susceptible to serious illness.
- Looking good by modern beauty standards, and fitting easily into clothes. Less hassle when shopping for clothes and more compliments!
- Can travel more, hike more, go horse riding etc.
The rewards I believe are well worth the effort! However if you find yourself obsessively counting calories, being terrified of beer or birthday cake… gently remind yourself that it’s unnecessary.